[AFRI-Discuss] ICANN 37th meeting in Nairobi

Tijani BEN JEMAA tijani.benjemaa at fmai.org
Fri Mar 19 07:27:53 CDT 2010

Dear all,

The Nairobi ICANN meeting is now over. What remains from this event ?

*         A huge success for AFRALO :

o        Our Showcase has been very successful, so successful that EURALO
(Europe) decided to organize a similar showcase in Brussels.

o        It was opened by Rod Beckstrom, ICANN President and CEO who praised
AFRALO and ALAC. He also did so during the Board/At-Large lunch; he
highlighted again the work done by AFRALO and ALAC, mentioning namely
Fatimata.

o        Our ALSes factsheets and AFRALO Brochure have been displayed on the
ICANN booth during the whole 5 days of the Nairobi meeting.

o        AFRALO members had appreciated contribution in the debate held in
the various meetings of the week. Some of them are working in the different
working groups related to specific topics.

o        Our contacts with participants and especially the Board Directors
made them convinced and committed to help us.

*         Another success for the community, and especially those from the
developing countries:

o        The Board decided to wave aside the SOI (Expression Of Intention)
decided in Seoul for the new gTLD applications. The SOI was compulsory and
costs 55 000 US$. It clearly penalizes the developing countries applications
and the geographical and cultural community based ones.

o        The Board has also decided to provide support to applicants
requiring assistance in applying for and operating new gTLDs.

Fatimata, Didier and I, we are very satisfied. The substantial support of
Cheryl, ALAC President, and At-Large staff (Heidi, Matthias and Gisella) was
for great help. I can't forget to thank them for their willingness and their
availability.

Tijani BEN JEMAA

Executive Director

Mediterranean Federation of Internet Associations

Phone : + 216 71 875 761

Mobile : + 216 98 330 114

Fax     : + 216 70 860 861