[AFRI-Discuss] AfRALO Participation Document

Mohamed EL Bashir admin at isoc.sd
Thu Jul 16 00:25:42 CDT 2009

Alan,

I do agree with some of your point and disagree with others, find bellow
my comments :

* The main intention is to first provide info on the participation tools
for new African ALS, second is to encourage participation and have a
benchmarking .

* it seems the lack of activity is the reason for losing your interest
in participation " as you stated", how can we encourage this
participation so active and knowledgeable professional like you can
contribute " your suggestions will be useful" .

* I do agree with you that most of the ICANN policy topics are not of a
prioritry for our region, we have more urgent issues now in terms of
internet access, coverage and prices.
am sure in South Africa, one of the most advanced technically-economic
African countries you facing important internt user's issue which is not
in ICANN area .
Said that, we should not stop our participation and contributions to
ICANN, someone like yourself and others could bring an African
prospective when ICANN is discuss issues that will effect African Domain
owners in the gTLD space . we need to extend this participation to more
members-ALS not just few active persons .

* "If there is any further participation requirement I would add:
- African ALS are required to inform all their members of AfRALO
activities and opportunities to participate, as well as any ICANN
activities that may directly effect them.
- African ALS are required to initiate and participate in any discussion
that directly relates to African Internet Users. "
I agree with your suggestions  .. this is critical and special an active
secretariat empowered with translation and simplifed documents prepared
by ICANN specifically for At-Large .

* The mailing list could be used as a forum to discuss African Internet
user's issue, it dose not have to be only ICANN policy topics .

Regards,
Mohamed