[AFRI-Discuss] Question about elections for 2008

Alan Levin alan at futureperfect.co.za
Fri Feb 29 06:04:42 EST 2008

Hi Nick,

On 29 Feb 2008, at 11:33 AM, Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:
> Please see http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#XI
> Look under Article XI,S2(4)(c), reproduced below for ease of reading

This is brilliant, many thanks.

Relating to the other question I asked, I see that the new events
section of the website is not entirely user friendly. It's a great
widget. The content is a little unspecific and I'm interested to see
meetings labeled in accordance with the bylaws (i.e. the meetings
that are the official 'annual meeting' as defined.  The bylaws say:

Section 13. ANNUAL MEETINGS
Annual meetings of ICANN shall be held for the purpose of electing
Officers and for the transaction of such other business as may come
before the meeting. Each annual meeting for ICANN shall be held at
the principal office of ICANN, or any other appropriate place of the
Board's time and choosing, provided such annual meeting is held
within 14 months of the immediately preceding annual meeting. If the
Board determines that it is practical, the annual meeting should be
distributed in real-time and archived video and audio formats on the
Internet.

Since the events web page never highlights which is an annual
meeting, it's a confusing bylaw. The way the bylaw is currently
worded also means that every time the board agrees to the location of
the end of year meeting they also have to recognise that the location
is not at the principal office of ICANN. Hopefully they have
remembered to include this as part of the resolution when they agree
on the location of the African meeting at the end of the end of the
year (which as I understand is the annual meeting).

You may want to ask the webmaster to add (annual meeting) into the
events pages so as to make things more easy to understand.

thanks,

Alan

--
Alan Levin