[AFRI-Discuss] [At-Large] ICANN IDN Laboratory test results online

Roberto Gaetano roberto at icann.org
Sun Mar 11 09:32:05 EDT 2007

Siavash Shahshahani wrote:

> Could somebody describe a possible 'failure scenario' for the tests?
> Siavash

IANAE (I am not an expert), but what about, for instance, some code that
breaks somewhere because of the hyphen ("-") in the TLD? We had (and some
still exists) code that broke because of the length of the TLD, that was
assumed to be max. 3, with the exception of .arpa.

Having been a developer for many years, I can guarantee that there's no
limit to what can be put in the code without apparent reason. Once I'll teel
you about a software released in the late 70's by a major company that had a
check that a date must be lower than 1984, that an Orwell fan put in as a
joke, and that forgot to take out before the final build...

Cheers,
Roberto